Editor S.R. Sekkhar is one of the fastest rising talents in the Industry. He has been with Puri Jagan for the past many years and his editing work came into the limelight with Mahesh Babu’s ‘Businessman’. Mahesh Babu himself lauded Sekkhar’s efforts on a number of occasions. The theatrical trailer of ‘Iddarammayilatho’ also showcased Sekkhar’s talent. Recently, he has also edited a song in Allu Arjun’s smash hit, ‘Race Gurram’.

Very little is known about this reclusive and soft spoken editor, so we decided to do an exclusive interview to try and find out more. This is RD’s Exclusive Interview of S.R. Sekkhar.


RD : You do not have any filmy background. How and why did you come into the Industry?

Sekkhar : I came into the Industry only because of my dad. He always wanted to see me in the Film Industry, in some capacity or the other. He used to participate in stage dramas and he was a mad fan of Superstar Krishna. Our village is next to Krishna’s native place, almost like Jubilee Hills and Banjara Hills.

He was a heavy drinker who used to get wasted regularly and on one occasion, I lost my temper and said “You are wasting your life by getting drunk like this. What difference does it make whether you live or die?”. Exactly half an hour later, he passed away. I was very disturbed. That guilt has remained with me all my life and I decided to come to the Film Industry to fulfil his last wish.


RD : That is quite an emotional start. So how did you choose to become an editor?

Sekkhar : My uncle Srinivas works in Gemini TV. He is close to S. Gopal Reddy garu and he took me there. Gopal Reddy garu advised me to learn editing and he took me to Shabdalaya, to meet Mr. Shyam Prasad Reddy. I learnt the basics of editing there and spent a few months in the compound. It was not what I imagined a film career would look like. So I went back to my village and wasted away a year, by playing cricket etc.

But my family’s financial position was precarious after the death of my father and responsibilities came calling. So I came to Hyderabad one more time, to try and make a mark in the Industry. I slowly managed to find a job in Ramoji Film City, as the editor of the Panchatantra puppet show. I spent a 18 months there. I later moved to Ramanaidu Studios, where I worked as a DI technician in Prime Focus.

But fate had other ideas. I did not enjoy DI work, so I left that job and finally ended up as an assistant to Film Editor M.R. Varma, who was working with Puri Jagan and other leading directors at the time.

RD : So how did you get your first break as an editor?

Sekkhar : It was quite unexpected. I still remember that scene vividly. It was on May 2nd, during the editing of ‘Golimaar’. In the editing room, Puri Jagan sir suddenly announced “You will be the editor of my next film”. It was a shock.

I did not believe it. I went to meet Jagan sir again, to reconfirm. He reassured me and told me that I would edit his next film. I was euphoric and it was like a new birth for me.


RD : If not for Jagan, would you have become an editor so fast? Did you face any issues in the Industry, in terms of jealousy etc?

Sekkhar : Absolutely! If not for Jagan sir, I wouldnt have become an editor so fast. In the Industry, Puri Jagan sir is one of the few people who encourage new technicians. My first film was ‘Nenu Na Rakshasi’. After watching the first cut, Puri Jagan sir expressed his happiness and told me that I would win an award. I was glad that I could live up to his expectations.

As for jealousy etc, yes I did face things. It is natural when someone rises so fast, but it never really bothered me.

RD : So you must be a firm believer in Destiny..

Sekkar : Yes. I think there is something called Karma Siddhantham and Destiny. How else would you explain my association with Puri Jagan sir? When Pokiri released, I made a mental note to try and work with Puri sir atleast once. You see, I was a big fan of Mahesh Babu and Puri sir gave Mahesh his first big blockbuster. So I always had a soft corner for him. Unexpectedly, Puri sir was the one who ended up giving me my first break.

RD : Editing is one of the most crucial technical areas that can make or break a film. But Editors don’t seem to get their due. Why?

Sekkhar : I am glad you asked that. The reason for this is simple. You can see a cameraman’s work. You can hear a music director’s tunes. You can feel a director’s magic, while watching the film. A fight master’s fights can be appreciated even by B and C center people. But an editor’s work cannot be felt in a tangible way, by the common audience. That is the main reason.

While watching the film, an editor almost never comes to the mind for most people. Why common audience, take the case of the Industry. Except for directors and other film technicians, most people including producers do not really understand how tough and crucial an editor’s job is.

RD : So what can be done to improve this situation?

Sekkhar : Things are slowly improving for editors now. The advent of short films has brought greater awareness about an editor’s job. In Hollywood and Bollywood, editors have won recognition and it will come here too.

RD : You have watched many top stars in the editing room. Who is your favourite actor?

Sekkhar : Fortunately, I have worked with some of the biggest stars in my short career. Working with Amitabh sir for ‘Buddah Ho ga Tera Baap’ is an unforgettable experience. When you watch Amitabh sir in the edit room, you will understand why he is a Legend. His performance in the hospital scene is brilliant and it stirred emotions in me, even without re-recording etc.

If you take Mahesh Babu, he is an amazing actor with a great command over his performance. He is also very knowledgeable. He appreciated me for using one particular cut in ‘Businessman’. I have used an unconventional double cut for an emotional scene and he appreciated me on a number of occasions. It shows that he appreciates and understands the technical aspects.

Allu Arjun is one actor who is so passionate about cinema. He constantly works with technicians to improve the output. If you take Ravi Teja, he is a guy who gives complete freedom to technicians.

Nithiin has always treated me with respect and he has matured over the years as an actor. I like his style.

As for Pawan Kalyan, I respect him tremendously and I have worked with him for Cameraman Ganga tho Rambabu. But I never got a chance to meet him and interact with him personally.

RD : Who is your favourite actress? 

Sekkhar : (Smiles) I really like Samantha, both as an actress and as a person. I have never met her, but I would like to one day.

RD : Favourite music directors? 

Sekkhar : Professionally, I like Devi Sri Prasad and Thaman. Thaman is brilliant with re-recording while Devi Sri gives great songs. Personally, I am very close to Anoop Rubens and Raghu Kunche. They are like brothers for me.

RD : Unforgettable moments or comments?  


Sekkhar : After the release of ‘Buddah’, Amitabh sir hugged me and congratulated me for doing a good job. I was shocked. A Legend like Amitabh need not hug a person like me but that shows his greatness.

Another compliment that I cannot forget came from Allu Arjun. After the first trailer of ‘Iddarammayilatho’ came out, Allu Arjun was overjoyed with my work and he personally introduced me to many people as the editor of his film.

RD : What are your future plans? Will you work for Puri Jagan only or are you open to outside projects as well?

Sekkhar : I will be working for Puri Jagan sir’s future projects. Apart from that, I am also looking at other projects and they are in discussion phase. I will reveal them shortly. Recently, I edited one song in ‘Race Gurram’.

RD : Your most professionally satisfying film so far? 

Sekkhar : It would have to be ‘Businessman’. I won a lot of recognition for that movie and my name came out into open. It was a challenge to edit that film as the viewer must not be given time to stop and think about logics. It had to be racy and my task as an editor was quite challenging.

The trailer of ‘Iddarammayilatho’ also helped me a lot as a lot of people in the Industry and outside it came to know about my work.

We ended our conversation with Sekhhar on that note and wished him the very best for his future projects.

Post a Comment

 
Top